.: History of GCET :.
Vallabh Vidyanagar, named after the late Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel -- the 'Iron
Man of India' -- has over the last fifty years been developed into a well-known
seat of learning. The educational township, established in 1946, today provides
pre-primary to postgraduate education. The presence of Sardar Patel University,
here has boosted the pace of progress of educational activities.
On this campus, more than twenty thousand students pursue academic programmes in
many different disciplines. Several gardens, tree-lined avenues, a huge
playground in the heart of the township, and a rural environment enliven
academic activities on the campus.
Shri Gordhanbhai Hathibhai Patel, an eminent philanthropist of Gujarat, made a
generous donation of Rs. Three Crores for the new college. In honour of this
magnanimous gesture, the college has been named G H Patel College of Engineering
and Technology, or GCET.
A plot measuring over 1,80,000 square feet has been allocated for constructing
the main college building with a total built-up area of about 2,00,000 square